About Me!

Hi, my name is Hanna Nolan,I am a junior at the Universtiy of South Alabama, where i am an elementary education major. When i graduate i plan to teach at a private school and teach ethier kindergarten or first grade. My teaching philosophy consists of many values that I wish to grown on through the years, and I hope to add more, the more I teach. Listed below are the values I have chosen to guide me through my years of teaching, followed with my own definition and how I plan to use them in my classroom this year.

Leadership: This is shown in someone who leads the pack, he or she doesn’t wait for someone to do it first, and they just do it when they feel necessary. I will use this to lead my students down the right path and teach them to be themselves, not to follow what others do, but to do what they believe is right. I will also use leadership to do what is right for my Students as long as it is beneficial to them, no matter what others are doing.

Creativity: This is having the ability to make something ordinary into something grand. I will use this to make school a fun and enjoyable place. I will come up with different ways to teach, so the children never get board, but at the same time understand the information given to them. Hopefully this will encourage students to want to know more and get them interested.

Respect for Others: This is treating others the way you want to be treated. I will instill this into my students so they will not judge or mistreat anyone, peers or adults. I will also use this to help me step back in a stressful situation and have patients for my students and remember to treat them with the respect they give me.

Compassion: This is the knowledge and understanding of someone suffering, whether it is academically or personally. I will be able to understand and want to help a student(s) who needs extra help in school or it they just need someone to talk to. I will be understanding towards my students.

Commitment: This mean that you give it you’re all and that you true heartedly believe in something. I will believe in all my students that they can succeed and do great things. I will dedicate myself to them and give them my full attention and time.

On this blog i will dicuss some of the teacing tools that i find to be great ways to teach students outside the normal lecture teaching.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bulletin Boards

Bulletin Boards are great! Teachers can use them in many different ways, whether or not they want to display names at the beginning of the year or use them to demonstrate something they are going over in class. They can be decorated in all kinds of ways and the students can even decorate them themselves. Below are some ideas of bulletin boards, as well as some pictures of bulletin boards if you need something to go by in order to recreate.

*The first great idea is to put a large coconut tree in the center of the board, with coconuts falling from it, one for each student. Put the students names on the coconuts and put the title "Chica Chica Boom Boom look who's in my Room".












* The second idea is to cut out a large bubblegum machine shape and filled it with 4" circles with each child's name and picture.


*Another idea is that you could do is to hang a "fishnet" from a party store and put fish shapes with each child's name and picture with the title "What a Great Catch!"




* A good one is to make a large puzzle out of 4-5 sheets of oak tag (24x36 I think) with enough pieces for each child to get one and a few extras for late arrivals or adult helpers. On the first day of school have each child decorate their puzzle piece. Use the puzzle to learn classmates names for a few days then put them all together on a bulletin board with the title " You Fit Right In !".

No comments: