About Me!

Hi, my name is Hanna Nolan,I am a junior at the Universtiy of South Alabama, where i am an elementary education major. When i graduate i plan to teach at a private school and teach ethier kindergarten or first grade. My teaching philosophy consists of many values that I wish to grown on through the years, and I hope to add more, the more I teach. Listed below are the values I have chosen to guide me through my years of teaching, followed with my own definition and how I plan to use them in my classroom this year.

Leadership: This is shown in someone who leads the pack, he or she doesn’t wait for someone to do it first, and they just do it when they feel necessary. I will use this to lead my students down the right path and teach them to be themselves, not to follow what others do, but to do what they believe is right. I will also use leadership to do what is right for my Students as long as it is beneficial to them, no matter what others are doing.

Creativity: This is having the ability to make something ordinary into something grand. I will use this to make school a fun and enjoyable place. I will come up with different ways to teach, so the children never get board, but at the same time understand the information given to them. Hopefully this will encourage students to want to know more and get them interested.

Respect for Others: This is treating others the way you want to be treated. I will instill this into my students so they will not judge or mistreat anyone, peers or adults. I will also use this to help me step back in a stressful situation and have patients for my students and remember to treat them with the respect they give me.

Compassion: This is the knowledge and understanding of someone suffering, whether it is academically or personally. I will be able to understand and want to help a student(s) who needs extra help in school or it they just need someone to talk to. I will be understanding towards my students.

Commitment: This mean that you give it you’re all and that you true heartedly believe in something. I will believe in all my students that they can succeed and do great things. I will dedicate myself to them and give them my full attention and time.

On this blog i will dicuss some of the teacing tools that i find to be great ways to teach students outside the normal lecture teaching.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ice Breakers


1)What do we have in Common?
Rules: You begin by setting up chairs in a circle, but set up one less chair than the number of participants. The teacher can start the game by being the person in the middle without a chair. "Each person in the circle starts by introducing themselves to their two circle neighbors on either side. The teacher then introduces herself or himself to a member of the circle and asks that person who his or her neighbors are. After the student responds, the teacher invites the student to ask a yes or no question of the whole group. That question must relate something true about the student. Then the cycle starts again. Students introduce themselves to their neighbors, the person left standing introduces himself or herself to a new person, and the game continues.
Example: a student who surfs might ask the group if anyone has ever been surfing. Members of the class who have surfed respond yes not by talking but by getting out of their seats and finding a new seat at least two chairs away."

2)Paper Faces
Rules: Everyone I the class gets a paper plate, and is asked to decorate it with something that represent them, like a hobby or favorite T.V show etc. then they are asked to put their name somewhere on it they can ever incorporate it into their decoration. Once everyone is done, everyone goes over to a table or in a circle and shares who they are and what they drew on their plate and why. Once everyone is done the teacher will take them up and may use them as a bulletin board, so the class can look at them again if they need help remembering someone’s name orto see if they have anything in common.

3)Candy Talk
Rules: You have a basket of candy; you pass it around to the class and tell them to take as many pieces as they want. Once you have made sure all the students have gotten some you tell them that they have to tell the class one thing about themselves for each piece of candy they took.

4)Observation game
Rules: Line up your students in two lines facing each other; if there is an odd number of students, then play with the unmatched student. Give the students exactly 30 seconds to look at the person with whom they're paired and to study everything about that person. Then the students in one line turn around and close their eyes while the students in the other line change something about themselves. Then the kids in the other line turn around and try to name what has changed. Switch roles and play the game again.
Example: one person may take off an earring, switch shoes, or put their hair behind an ear.

5)Venn Who?
Rules: Hand each pair of students a blank Venn Diagram form. The students work together to complete the activity. One student writes his or her name at the top of one of the circles, and the other student writes his or her name at the top of the other one, In the overlapping portion of the circles, the partners must list five things that they have in common. In the parts of the circles with their names, the students must each list five things that are unique about themselves.

6)Snowball Fight!
Rules: Students write on a piece of paper three things about themselves. Then they crumple the paper up into a 'snowball' and have a one-minute snowball fight. At the end of the minute, everyone grabs the closest snowball and has to try to find the person who wrote it. They then introduce that person to the rest of the group, sharing the three facts.
7)The Giving Tree
Rules: Read aloud Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree and involve students in a discussion of the types of gifts the tree gave the boy; none of those gifts cost a thing. Then talk about the types of cost-free "gifts" the students can contribute to the class. Prepare a bulletin board that has the silhouette of a tree trunk and branches. Give each student a cutout apple. Have students write on their apples the things they can "give" to the class. Put the apples on the tree. This bulletin board makes a nice display for open house.

8)Get to know you bags
Rules: During Open House I give my new students their first assignment. I supply a white paper bag for them to fill with five items that will tell the class a little about them. They fill the bags with pictures, magnets, small stuffed toys, medals, past report cards, awards, etc. Throughout the first day each student will share what's in their bag and why. I also fill a bag myself and go first. I show enthusiasm about every item that they show, they love the individual attention!

9)Me Puppets
Rules: On the first day of school (unlike the remaining days of the school year), the children are usually reluctant to talk about themselves. We make "me" puppets using paper plates for the head, yarn for the hair, and construction paper facial features, with a popscicle stick for a handle. Upon completion, we stage a puppet show. The children hide their faces with the puppets and tell their classmates all about their families, hobbies, pets, etc.

10)People in My Family Assessment
Rules: On the first day or shortly thereafter, I have the children draw a picture of their family, but the rule is: only the people that live in their house. It's amazing to see how unsure some children are. It gives a lot of good information to the teacher. For younger children, they dictate the names and ages of family members, for older students, they can write them themselves.

No comments: